Indie Emporium this Weekend in Tulsa
October 8, 2009
The independent and local art/ fashion/craft show INDIE EMPORIUM is this weekend, Friday and Saturday. It is at the VFW post on 6th Street. The doors open at 7:00 pm on Friday, and they will be giving away free goodie bags to the first 50 people through the door. That’s why I’m gonna be there at 6:45.
Last year, I bought a super-cute, one-of a kind, up-cycled dress with hand-sewn birdies by a lady named Christine. (However, her Etsy shop is currently down while all her stuff is at the IE show.)
And this year, I’m bound and determined to buy a piece of art from Tulsa’s talented folk artist Heather Sleightholm:
I’m VERY excited about this weekend for many reasons:
- Indie Emporium was started in 2007 by a group of women who are smart and crafty, and I love going every year because it reminds me that there are optimistic, nice, young, feminist, environmentally-friendly happenings happening here in Oklahoma.
- I get to look at handmade, pretty- sometimes even beautiful!- local art.
- I get to support an independent, local, female artist. Because I have a few dozen extra dollars, which is saying something lately.
- I get to hang out with tough, pretty ladies.
- And leave my kid at home!
- And drink a beer at the VFW!
It really doesn’t get any better that this. Wouldn’t you agree?
Glad Tulsa’s my home,